- "That thing is huge; and built to fight."
- ―Aloy, upon sighting a Thunderjaw
The Thunderjaw is a machine in Horizon Zero Dawn. It is a large Combat Class machine, one of the two largest machines of this class. Its size, power, and weaponry make it one of the most feared machines amongst the tribes.
The Carja hunter Ahsis, a Hawk of the Hunters Lodge, is the first known hunter to have killed a Thunderjaw. After the huge machine destroyed the Carja freehold of Morning Light, Ahsis tracked, found and engaged it, narrowly defeating it by using its own Disc Launchers against it. As the largest and most powerful machine ever successfully hunted in the Lodge’s history up to that time, the kill elevated him to the rank of Sunhawk. The body of this Thunderjaw was later retrieved, and is now kept on display in the center of the Lodge.
His achievement was eventually topped by the successful hunt of another Thunderjaw. Known as Redmaw, this Thunderjaw had for years slaughtered every hunter who had attempted to kill it, earning it legendary status among Carja hunters. Eventually, Redmaw was killed by Hawk Talanah Khane Padish and her Thrush Aloy.Daemonic Thunderjaws, using one to guard the entrance to Cauldron EPSILON.
The Thunderjaw is a huge bipedal machine with features akin to those of a Tyrannosaurus Rex: powerful and bulky legs, a long body, and a heavy tail to maintain equilibrium. Its body features symmetrical weaponry: a laser weapon in its mouth, cannons on its jaws, a radar array on its back, and disc launchers on its hips.
When undisturbed, Thunderjaws mill about their respective sites, their footfalls an early warning to anyone wandering too close.
The Thunderjaw’s huge size, power, capacity to sustain damage and array of weapons make it one of the most formidable machines. It employs a range of powerful melee and ranged attacks.
Additionally, its radar scanner allows quick detection of hunters hiding in tall grass. Unlike that of a Scrapper, able to detect only movement, the Thunderjaw’s radar can detect humans regardless of their motion. Thunderjaws have no elemental weaknesses, and are resistant to Shock.
A Thunderjaw’s major weaknesses are its heart and data nexus; ranged weapon strikes on either cause significant damage once they are exposed. Similarly, landing a shot of the corresponding element on exposed chillwater canisters, blaze canisters, or power cells will induce their status effects.
Its mandibular cannons, disc launchers and radar unit can all be removed with enough Tear damage.
|Name||Primary Damage||Secondary Damage||Trigger Range||Description|
|Bite Attack||250||-||11m - 17m||Snaps at enemy with mandibles|
|Charge||275||-||20m - 80m||Charges and rams enemy|
|Foot Stomp||290||50||0m - 7m||Stamps on enemy|
|Rushing Bite Attack||250||-||18m - 33m||Charges and snaps at enemy|
|Tail Slam||300||-||6m - 16m||Vertical bludgeon attack with tail|
|Tail Swipe||300||-||17m - 27m||Spinning bludgeon attack with tail|
|Name||Damage Type||Primary Damage||Secondary Damage||Trigger Range||Description|
|Disc Launcher - 360 Attack||Explosion||130||-||5m - 25m||Discs strike in a circle around chassis|
|Disc Launcher - Barrage||Explosion||130||-||20m - 80m||Discs strike in a barrage|
|Disc Launcher - Homing||Explosion||130||-||20m - 80m||Discs track enemy|
|Laser Sweep||Laser||200||130 per second||25m - 60m||Fan-shaped spread of laser beams|
|Cannon Burst - Lead Up||Projectile||60||-||20m - 80m||Rapid-fire mandibular cannon shots; head sweeps laterally|
|Cannon Burst - Side to Side||Projectile||60||-||20m - 80m||Rapid-fire mandibular cannon shots; cannons repeatedly fire left and right|
- Although Thunderjaws are shown in the Embrace at the start of the game, their presence during Aloy's infancy would be nine years before they were first observed by the Carja. It seems likely that their appearance in this scene is non-canon, and only intended to showcase the prominent machines of the game.
- According to game designer Mathijs de Jonge, Thunderjaws are 24 meters long and 9 meters tall. 
- Thunderjaws are perhaps the most well-known machines in Horizon Zero Dawn. Aloy's battle against a Thunderjaw first showcased the game at E3 2015, a massive poster of one was draped on the side of a building in Los Angeles to advertise the game at E3 2016, and the game's box art depicts Aloy hunting one.
- Thunderjaws have 271 animations, 93 destructible armor plates, 12 unique attacks, 67 visuals and 550,000 polygons.
- According to Herman Hulst, the managing director for Guerrilla Games, the Thunderjaw was the first machine implemented in the game. The total development time took a year and a half.
- Not counting Tallnecks, the Thunderjaw is the first possible large machine that Aloy can encounter. One can be found in Valleymeet, east of Dawn's Sentinel.
- Thunderjaws are more common compared to other large-sized machines.
|Acquisition Class||Broadhead - Charger - FireclawFW - FrostclawFW - Glinthawk - Grazer - Lancehorn - Rockbreaker - Scrapper - Snapmaw - Strider - Trampler|
|Combat Class||Ravager - Sawtooth - ScorcherFW - Stalker - Stormbird - Thunderjaw|
|Recon Class||Longleg - Watcher (Redeye Watcher)|
|Transport Class||Behemoth - Fire Bellowback - Freeze Bellowback - Shell-Walker|
|Chariot Class||Corrupted Machines - Corruptor - Deathbringer - Metal Devil|
|Unknown Class||Control TowerFW|