- "Now, this thing is dangerous!"
- ―Aloy, upon picking up a Disc Launcher
Disc Launchers are heavy artillery weapons mounted on the backs of Thunderjaws, capable of doing immense blast damage. It is one of four weapons you can obtain from machines.
How to obtain
Disc Launchers are normally seen in pairs on a Thunderjaw's back and serve as their heaviest weapon. One is mounted above each hip. Using weapons that deal tear damage will rip them off, causing them to fall to the ground, where they can be picked up and used against the Thunderjaw or other machines.
Dealing very high blast damage, the Disc Launcher has an 8-round magazine and fires explosive discs that hover above the target and lock on with laser beams before striking them and exploding with tremendous force, shaking the earth. It can inflict critical damage if it hits the right component of any machine, and inflict enough tear damage to blast away armor or rip off weapon components such as Ravager Cannons. It is powerful enough to instantly destroy humans and smaller machines, knock down medium-sized machines and stagger large machines, including Thunderjaws. If used right, one can kill a pair of Thunderjaws before the magazine is spent and the weapon has to be dropped, as it cannot be reloaded.
- Very high blast damage (second only to the Oseram Cannon), even more so with critical hits.
- Staggers or knocks down anything it hits.
- Can tear off weapons and armor.
- Very visible and easy to sever (if one has a Tearblaster or tear arrows).
- Small magazine, heavily punishes missed shots.
- Rounds travel rather slowly, making far-off or very agile targets harder to hit.
- Like all pickup weapons, it slows Aloy down to carry it.
- The original contraption that is mounted on the Thunderjaw is about twice the dropped weapon's size. Once it is severed and falls to the ground, it transforms into the dropped device.
- The severed Disc Launcher fires discs forward. The mounted Disc Launcher fires discs into the air that project targetting lasers downwards and then explode.
- The severed variant is reminiscent of the GDI Disc Thrower unit in the Command and Conquer games.
- Like the Ravager Cannon and the Scorcher's Mine Launcher, a severed Disc Launcher trails sparking cables, indicating an internal power source.
- Redmaw only has one of its Disc Launcher when Aloy and Talanah fight it. The other was presumably removed by Ahsis or another Hunter.
|Ranged Weapons||Blast Sling - ForgefireFW - Hunter Bow - IcerailFW - Rattler - Ropecaster - Sharpshot Bow - Sling - StormslingerFW - Tearblaster - War Bow|
|Melee Weapons||Spear - Sylens' Lance|
|Stealth Weapons||Traps - Tripcaster|
|Heavy Weapons||Deathbringer Gun - Disc Launcher - Firespitter - Firestriker - Mine LauncherFW - Oseram Cannon - Ravager Cannon|